WAPC supports many hunger relief programs including: Second Harvest Food Bank, Master’s Table Sunday suppers, and Appalachian Service Project’s Cup of Cold Water program.
Through the Loaves and Fishes program WAPC prepared and delivered over 100 pre-packaged meals each for the lunches in May and August in 2022. [please note that as of July 2023 Loaves & Fishes is being discontinued.] WAPC also provided Thanksgiving and Christmas food and gift boxes for 3 needy families and delivered food to a fourth family. We offer “caring bags” of personal hygiene items and food coupons for homeless visitors. We also collected baby supplies for at-risk mothers.
This year we will be collecting used coats, jackets, sweaters and other winter / cold weather items for West Main Street Christian Church for their distribution to homeless and needy persons.
We also collected items for our annual Mitten Tree this Advent Season. Members and friends were invited to donate mittens, gloves, scarves, hats/toboggans, socks and other items that were donated to Good Samaritan for distribution to individuals in need.
We contribute our time, talents, treasures, and prayers to many other service agencies. Here are some of WAPC Mission partners:
- Meals on Wheels (First Tennessee Human Resource Agency program)
- Habitat for Humanity (Holston Habitat for Humanity organization)
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee
- Salvation Army – Center of Hope (the Johnson City Corps)
- Family Justice Center (formerly Safe Passage) (Facebook page info) and The River (assistance to battered women and children, help for expectant mothers or mothers with small children.)
- Coalition For Kids